2.8.11

Tonight we eat Sloppy Joes, rightfully named, these comforting kid food delights involve a messy hamburgerish mixture concocted by women who had large families to feed in the Midwest in 1964.
My version of my mother's is as follows:
2 lbs. Of hamburger with at least, dare I say it, 10% FAT! Sauté this with chopped onions and carrots (a cup of each) my mother would have added a cup of chopped celery, but I am out, then, uh, uh...(losing my concentration as my neighbor girl is pogo sticking away with far too much success just seconds from my ear). Ah, I believe she fell. aw..
...back to the recipe, add worcestershire, 4 or 5 sloshes, salt and pepper, a can of red kidney beans washed and mildly mashed with a fork, can of tomato soup, some canned diced tomatoes or leftover pasta sauce (a cup), some mustard and ketchup. Cook this down to a nice saucey, but firm, topping and spoon it onto slider buns. Serve it with the salad of your choice, sit back, compare the fireflies to the shooting stars and enjoy.

For dessert we had Oh,Henry! bars and Cracker Jack, no real prizes just stupid stickers, but still it felt good to dig the stale sweet hulls out of your teeth
.... then just twist again like we did last summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment