26.11.07

I can see my breath


A poem by Alexis Irvin ~2007

(Ray's daughter)

I can see my breath

Sitting quietly, high upon my mountain
a throne of snow cushions me as I watch the hills.

The opaque skies of winter should be oppressive,
but are not.
Quietly
Quietly
Quietly
the forest breathes
strangely silent.

Each animal in his place nestled down and too,
they listen to the forest quietly breathing.
One brave woodpecker, intrepid little soldier that he is,
still works. His insistent noise echoes throughout.

Softly I sit and I can see my breath collect like small elegant fingers on winter’s foliage.
A small crack...
Standing just over there is this mountain’s buck.
Steam emanating from his every slow breath.

He is after all not in a hurry, this is his mountain.
Even a photo would be a theft for this fellow, who protects his hill with a glance, like a dare.
Slowly, as I hike down the hill, I can hear the wind soughing in the trees.

The occasional slide of snow falling off limbs, as the trees shake off the unwanted weight.
I think about this as I smile quietly in to my collar, this mountain is not mine, it is theirs.

Alexis Irvin, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment